My nephew makes a great traditional horchata and he shared his horchata recipe with me last month! It’s become a family favorite and we often serve it at family gatherings. It’s definitely best to prepare at least one day ahead so you’re not rushing to get it done. Also, it goes great with Mexican tortas (*wink wink*).
Makes about 5 cups
- 1 lb of rice
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 1.5 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 6 oz evaporated milk
- 7 oz condensed milk
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- Add rice and cinnamon sticks to large bowl. Fill with water until fully submerged
- Let sit for two hours
- Pour rice, cinnamon, and water mixture into blender. Blend for two minutes on medium.
- Strain rice and cinnamon mixture (I like to use a metal colander) into large pitcher.
- Add evaporated milk, condensed milk, sugar and vanilla extract.
- Stir and chill in refrigerator until ready to serve.
Note: We like to serve horchata with a dash of cinnamon powder. And here’s a little secret… you can also make a cocktail drink with this horchata by adding a splash of rum!
- Easy white menudo recipe
- Traditional Pozole Rojo with Chicken Recipe
- Roasted Tomato Serrano Salsa Recipe
- Mosaic Gelatin Recipe
- Boysenberry Sangria Recipe