Chicano Heritage Month is being celebrated in a few cities in Orange County. We are so happy to see our Chicano culture represented and celebrated in the community. We hope you’ll take time and visit one of these events to show our community support and interest.
What is Chicano?
“Chicano” refers to Americans of Mexican ancestry.
Chicano Heritage Month events
Chicano Heritage Month events in Anaheim
The Anaheim Library has an events listed on their website listing these as some events happening in Anaheim to celebrate Chicano month:
- Author talk with Silvia Salas-Sanchez of “Pasale! A Day with Abuela” and Tortilla Cooking Demo at Euclid Branch
- Friday, August 4, 1:30 p.m.
- Talavera-style Painted Coasters at Sunkist Branch
- Tuesday, August 8, 1 p.m.
- Loteria at Canyon Hills Branch
- August 8, 15, 22, 29, 4:30 p.m.
- Loteria for Everyone at Euclid Branch
- Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, 3 p.m.
- Chicano Culture Kitchen at Euclid Branch
- Wednesday, August 9, 1:30 p.m.
- Dolores Huerta: Documentary film screening discussion and doodle space at Central Library
- Wednesday, August 9, 4 p.m.
- Lil’ Lowrider Boxcars at Haskett Branch
- Wednesday, August 9, 3:30 p.m.
- Adult Book Discussion, “I’m Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter” at Euclid Branch
- Friday, August 11, 12 p.m. (noon)
- Canyon Cinema: McFarland, USA at Canyon Hills Branch
- Friday, August 11, 3 p.m.
- Bilingual Storytime & Craft at East Anaheim Branch
- Tuesday, August 15, 11 a.m.
- Book to Big Screen: Stand and Deliver at Euclid Branch
- Wednesday, August 16, 1 p.m.
- Chicanos and Anaheim Hills: Discussion at Canyon Hills Branch
- Thursday, August 17, 5 p.m.
- Boxcar Drive-In & Screening of “Layenda del Charro Negro” at Haskett Branch
- Thursday, August 17, 3:30 p.m.
- Family Storytime w/ Author Jaime Moreira of Bilingual book, “Eddy: Embracing Differences and Celebrating Abilities” at Central Library
- Saturday, August 19, 11 a.m.
- Paint & Take: A Guided Art Program at East Anaheim Branch
- Sunday, August 20, 1 p.m.
- DIY Ojo de Dios Craft at Euclid Branch
- Thursday, August 23, 2 p.m.
- Tacos de Papa Demonstration at Sunkist Branch
- Wednesday, August 23, 3 p.m.
- Selena Karaoke Competition! at Euclid Branch
- Friday, August 25, 2 p.m.
- Make Your Own Pinata or Flower Headband at Canyon Hills Branch
- Thursday, August 31, 3 p.m.
Chicano Heritage Month events in Santa Ana
Take pride in knowing that as of Tuesday, August 1, 2023 the City of Santa Ana officially presented a proclamation declaring the month of August as Chicano Heritage Month.
Chicano Heritage Festival
August 27, 2023
11:00am – 7:00pm
El Salvador Park, 1825 W. Civic Center Drive
A full day of culture as the City of Santa Ana’s hosts its second annual Chicano Heritage Festival!
We invite everyone to come together as we celebrate the City’s rich Mexican American history. Guests can look forward to emerging themselves in festivities for the Chicano community including food, arts, a kids zone, cultural exhibits, and much more. This celebration will be free, family-friendly, and open to all. There will be special components across the event such as, live musical performances, a car cruise and show, carnival rides, and guest speakers.
Live performances by
- Vicky Tafoya
Originally published on August 7, 2023. Last Updated on August 8, 2023 by Pattie Cordova