This is a sponsored post in partnership with Latina Bloggers Connect and Cerveza Montejo.
The hubster decided to create his own version of beer can chicken by creating a smoked beer can chicken recipe using Casa Cordova’s beer of choice – Montejo. And from what I hear, it’s a winning recipe!
Beer can chicken is something that we have never done before at our home. When the hubster saw our stash of Montejo, he immediately knew that he just had to try it. So he came up with a recipe and knocked it out of the park during our last family get-together.
So why Montejo? La Casa Cordova favors Montejo because of its taste, and it reminds us of our culture with every sip. It’s brewed at Cerveceria Modelo S. de R.L. de C.V. in Tuxtepec, Oaxaca, Mexico – so it’s literally a taste of Mexico.
We have gotten into a nice little groove of having people over to our new town home. The only problem is that we tend to run out of ideas on what to serve our family because I don’t really cook and we know what our family likes. This last time, we had a full house and it seems that we overestimated the amount of chicken that our family could eat. We ended up with one leftover chicken, which made some great tortas and burritos for the hubster and my nephews the following day.
Give the recipe a try next time you need to feed a bunch of people and need a show-stopping meal without a lot of work. It’s easy to multiply the recipe to accommodate large parties. Store any leftovers in a tightly-sealed container and store in the refrigerators for up to three days. You can shred and use to top nachos, add some lettuce and salsa for tacos, or just serve it plain along some rice and beans. Let us know how yours turns out, and if you have a different spin on the classic beer can chicken recipe, please share in the comments. I’m sure the hubster would love to give it a try.
Smoked Beer Can Chicken Recipe with Montejo Beer
- 3-4 lbs chicken
- 1 Montejo beer
For the Smoked Beer Can Chicken Rub
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp smoked chipotle chili powder
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- In a small bowl, mix dry ingredients to create the smoked beer can chicken rub.
- Take the chicken out of its packaging. Check for leftover giblets inside the cavity. Remove and rinse the chicken under cool water. Pat dry.
- Pour out (or drink) about 1/2 of the beer.
- Gently place the chicken over the beer and stabilize it over a plate.
- Rub the smoked beer can chicken rub over the chicken. Sprinkle some inside of the cavity.
- Preheat the grill to medium high or about 350 to 375 degrees.
- Place the chicken with the beer can inside directly on the grill. Use the legs as a stand if you’re having trouble keeping it straight.
- Cook for about 75-90 minutes.
- Smoked beer can chicken is done when it’s 175 degrees in the thigh and 165 in the breast.
- Remove from grill and gently tug using tongs and pour leftover beer over the chicken.
- Let it rest for ten minutes before cutting.