[disclaim]Guest post by Justine Burgess[/disclaim]
Make your own double chocolate chip cookies for an “easy” version of this ice cream cookie sandwich recipe. This double chocolate chip cookie recipe has been modified for my own oven.
Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 sticks (1 cup) butter (or for firmer dough, ½ cup butter, ½ cup shortening)
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar (or half brown sugar (packed) and half granulated sugar)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. real vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder (we love Hersheys). You can also use 2/3 cup up to ¾ cup for a richer flavor.
- 2 cups flour (all-purpose) *note- if dough seems too sticky, you may add in an additional tablespoon or two.
- ¾ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 cups (or one bag) chocolate chips (semi-sweet, milk chocolate, white chocolate- whatever you like)
- Preheat oven to 350 F for 10 minutes (oven temps may vary- I have to bake mine at 375 F, but my oven is also …*ahem*… 50. Years.Old.)
- In a large bowl, beat together butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla on medium speed until well-mixed and fluffy.
- Combine all dry ingredients and add to the butter mixture.
- Beat mixture thoroughly until combined.
- Mix in the chips.
- Use a tablespoon for large cookies or teaspoon for small; drop by rounded spoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 11-13 minutes for larger cookies, or 8-10 for smaller, until they are firm around the edges.
- Let cool for a minute or two on the cookie sheet, then remove and finish cooling on a baking rack. *You can adjust the recipe for your own tastes.