The baby has a cough. My first instinct is to turn to a herbal remedy, but there is too much junk in commercial medicine. Besides which, there is not cough medicine out there for babies under 2. So, I made some homemade Thyme Cough Syrup and it gave our baby the relief he needed to get a few hours of uninterrupted sleep.
Homemade Cough Syrup
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 cup honey (I used organic)
- Bottle to store (I used the honey bottle)
- Put thyme in tea ball. If you don’t have a tea ball, you can make your own by bundling up the thyme in a coffee filter and closing it with a twist-tie.
- Pour boiling water over thyme in a measuring cup.
- Leave the thyme in the water until the water cools to room temperature.
- Remove the thyme from the water and discard.
- Stir in honey.
- Pour into storage container and keep in the refrigerator.
To use: Shake well before using. Take one tablespoon several times a day for colds, coughs, and sore throat.