Lifeway Probugs is the next big thing in probiotics for kids. Full of probiotics, flavor and a cute container that kids love.
I first heard about Lifeway Probugs in April during ExpoWest in Anaheim, CA. Frankly, I was a bit hesitant because of the bright pink package with the little monster on it. I’m not one to eat kid products, but I was hot… and hungry. So I grabbed a Lifeway Kefir Probugs in “Goo-Berry Pie” and devoured it in minutes. Not because it was melting, or because I felt a little awkward eating a kid’s product – but because it was pretty darn delicious.
As told by the Lifeway rep, their foundation product is Kefir. Kefir is a creamy probiotic dairy beverage similar to, but distinct from yogurt. They offer the largest selection of Kefir in the world. It is based on whole milk, low-fat or non-fat pasteurized milk.
Lifeway Kefir has a unique effervescent quality that stems from the exclusive blend of kefir grains. The blend of cultures contains seven to ten billion CFU’s of 10 strains of bacteria, plus ProBoost, their exclusive pair of clinically proven probiotics to balance your body’s ecosystem, support digestive health and immunity – that’s 12 live and active cultures per cup (and no weird fake-sugar taste)!
So when an opportunity arose to discuss the product in greater length, I jumped on it. I knew the kids would love the Lifeway Probugs, in every flavor, but I wanted to choose one that was already mom-approved.
We shopped for our Lifeway Probugs at Whole Foods, because as we all know, they are THE store when it comes to organic, vegetarian, healthy, etc.
My oldest kid spent quite a bit of time choosing a box (even though I told him to go for the purple one). He did end up deciding on the one that I wanted, but it’s nice to know that the entire line of Kefir ProBugs is available at Whole Foods. We need to make another trip over there and try the rest of them.
We get it in the cart and I have the kids stop for a quick picture. Then my youngest starts screaming his head off (in the middle of the store) because he wants them… NOW.
I had to rush to the checkout line and distract him long enough to check out and hide them in a bag.
Whew… so we’re finally home and the kids get on the couch and open up the box. And as though we were being watched, the neighborhood kids start showing up at our door!
Each box has six tubes of Lifeway Probugs. The whole box was gone in minutes. The kids had a great time sharing the easy-to-use containers of Probugs. The little monster on the packaging gets them wanting it, and the flavor keeps them asking for more. They are quite delish and don’t have a weird after taste.
The Probugs frozen treat has the texture of a sherbet, and the flavor is comparable to it as well. It’s fruity and you can enjoy seconds after it comes out of the freezer. I do recommend teaching the kids how to suck it out of the container because it does tend to melt quickly.
Want to learn more about Lifeway products? Here are a few fun facts:
- Filled with more beneficial cultures than other fermented milk products such as yogurt or buttermilk.
- Cultured for 14 to 16 hours, whereas most yogurts are cultured for just 2 to 3 hours. That extra time gives Kefir its high probiotic activity count (7-10 billion CFUs per serving).
- Made with organic milk from grass fed cows, free of rBGH (Bovine Growth Hormones) and antibiotics.
- An ideal milk substitute for infants, pregnant women, nursing mothers, convalescents and the elderly.
- A good remedy for digestive problems such as colitis and IBS, and is particularly helpful in reestablishing necessary intestinal microflora that may have been destroyed by antibiotic or other medical treatment.
- Available in 12 flavors in lowfat, nonfat, whole milk, children’s (ProBugs™), both lowfat and whole milk organic, and lowfat organic varieties under the Helios brand.
- All of Lifeway’s products are gluten free.
- Find Lifeway coupons here: http://lifeway.net/Store/UserAccount.aspx
The kids were a little busy with their treat, but I went ahead and asked my boy and one of his close friends what they thought of Lifeway Probugs. They really couldn’t stop for more than a few seconds to share their thoughts.
The Lifeway company has been around since 1986 when Russian immigrant Michael Smolyansky started making Kefir in his Chicago apartment. He spent the last 25 years growing the company. His two children took the helm in 2002 making them one of the youngest Duo’s to run such a large company. They are innovative and ahead of the game in the Dairy Products industry.